Athletes push their bodies to peak performance levels on a regular basis, whether that means competing in difficult matches or participating in endurance activities like working out at the gym, running in marathons or training at home. This intense activity, however, can lead to the loss of fluids and minerals through sweating and sore and aching muscles during the recovery phase.
As a result, athletes often look for effective ways to promote optimal performance and care for their bodies before and after exercise. In recent years, IV therapy for athletes has gained in popularity, and many athletes turn to IV fluids to rehydrate quickly between training sessions and kickstart recovery after intense athletic events. IV therapy for athletic performance and recovery can boost workout performance and speed recovery. By adding the right mix of supplements to their treatment, athletes stand a greater chance of outperforming themselves and their competitors.
At Rocky Mountain IV Medics, we offer mobile IV therapy for athletic recovery, so you can receive the IV fluids you want wherever is most convenient for you in the Denver, Loveland and Fort Collins areas. Our knowledgeable and experienced registered nurses and paramedics can administer an IV at your home or even at the gym, pool, field or track where you train.
Recommended IV for Athletes
Sports IV Therapy
Athletic performance IV infusions can give you the boost you need at your next practice, raising your energy levels so that you can push through that intense workout faster and harder. Rocky Mountain IV Medics offers a unique blend of supplements to athletes who require an infusion to meet the rigorous demands they place on their bodies.
For optimal performance, you may want to include a mix of additional vitamins and healthy substances to up your game. We recommend you choose an IV treatment with the following medicines:
- B complex: These vitamins assist enzymes in breaking down proteins and fats and help convert carbohydrates into energy. This process helps to promote energy and allows you to perform longer and harder before you tire.
- Vitamin B12: This vitamin helps produce red blood cells. These cells transport oxygen throughout your body, ensuring your muscles have enough oxygen to perform optimally.
- Taurine: This amino acid is a popular ingredient in energy drinks, offering muscle support to boost physical performance.
- NAD+: Nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD+) is a key coenzyme the body produces to convert glucose and fatty acids into energy. By receiving an IV with this substance, athletes can benefit from increased stamina and endurance, allowing them to power through the most intense workouts.
With IV treatment from Rocky Mountain IV Medics, you can receive all the supplements you need to conquer your next workout and recover quickly afterward. An additional benefit is that our skilled team can come to you to administer your IV therapy for athletic performance at your home or practice location. Who knows, you might just beat your workout record!
IV Therapy for Post-Workout and Sports Recovery
You left it all out on the field, which means you may be feeling the uncomfortable, or even painful, aftermath the next day. Sore muscles and joints, fatigue, lack of energy and changes in mood are common side effects of strenuous activity or overexertion. Recovery is important because your body needs this time to rest and repair.
But recovery for athletes needs to be effective. If you don’t nurture your body by getting enough sleep and eating well, it may take longer to bounce back from a vigorous workout or athletic event. This can throw you off your training schedule or make it harder to compete at your highest level.
Most importantly, you want to stay well-hydrated between workouts because dehydration can lead to fatigue and muscle aches and pains. During workouts, you can lose lots of fluids and it is crucial to replenish them for optimal recovery. To speed up your healing process, we recommend IV therapy for muscle recovery that you can receive in the comfort of your own home.
You'll likely want to opt for recovery and performance IV therapy that addresses dehydration. You also want to replenish lost nutrients, as your body uses up essential vitamins and minerals to fuel your metabolism, which is responsible for converting carbohydrates, proteins and fats into usable energy.
Effective IV Add-Ons for Athletes
You may want to add the following solutions to your athlete recovery IV treatment for the best results:
- Saline to combat dehydration.
- Vitamin B12 to fight fatigue.
- Vitamin C to help your muscles heal faster.
- Zinc to repair damaged tissue.
- Magnesium and glutathione to fight inflammation.
You might wonder, why not take oral supplements to speed up recovery? The reason is that an athlete IV drip offers better absorption. With this treatment, supplements enter directly into your bloodstream, bypassing your gastrointestinal tract. This ensures that nutrients get absorbed instead of being flushed out, as your digestive system does not always absorb high levels of nutrients. A drip IV can help with athletic recovery and sports performance by supplying your body with the vitamins, minerals and fluids it needs to function at its best.
Why Athletes Use IV Therapy
Athletes with a wide range of skills and training levels may use IV therapy as they strive to achieve peak performance. Some athletic organizations, including the World Anti-Doping Agency, restrict the use of IV fluids for otherwise healthy individuals. Nonetheless, many athletes still seek IV therapy while in training. Here are a few of the reasons athletes have been known to have an IV before or after exercise:
- To rehydrate efficiently: Athletes lose a lot of fluid while exercising, especially in hot weather. Dehydration can lead to lowered athletic performance, and severe dehydration can even become dangerous if it's left unaddressed. Because IV fluids bypass the digestive system and enter directly into the bloodstream, they can rehydrate the body more quickly than oral rehydration. Furthermore, IVs allow for direct absorption of the ingredients in the IV solution, which might include amino acids, antioxidants or electrolytes, so athletes may use recovery IV therapy to rehydrate while also receiving vitamins and minerals tailored to their needs.
- To lower the chance of muscle cramps: Muscle cramps during competitions pose serious problems for serious athletes. Although many factors contribute to muscle cramps, dehydration and salt loss may play a significant role. Some athletes and sports teams choose to restore their salts and fluids through IVs before a competition in the hopes of preventing cramps.
- To promote smoother recovery: To minimize inflammation and pain after exercise and promote a faster recovery, some athletes seek out IVs that contain vitamin C, glutathione and other antioxidants thought to promote wound healing and reduce oxidative stress that leads to post-workout soreness.
Some anecdotal evidence certainly supports the usefulness of IVs for certain athletes, and IV fluids can also provide symptom relief for athletes suffering from moderate to severe dehydration as a result of exercise. However, it's important to note that research has not found significant evidence to suggest that IV rehydration provides performance benefits over oral rehydration under normal circumstances, or that IV fluids effectively prevent muscle cramping.
If you're thinking about getting sports IV therapy, check with the athletic organization governing your competitions to make sure it's allowed.
Book an IV for Athletic Recovery
As an athlete, you want to perform at your best and feel good doing it. At Rocky Mountain IV Medics, we can provide IVs for athletes in the Denver area who want to rehydrate and recover quickly. Call us at 720-987-2155, Text us or book your appointment online!